- Wednesday, September 10, 2014
4:00 — 6:00 p.m. Presentation and Tour
6:15 — 8:15 p.m. Networking
- Tour: Center for Architecture, 1218 Arch St., Phila., PA 19107
Networking: Lucky Strike, 1336 Chestnut St., Phila., PA 19107
- Tour ONLY – $55 member, $75 non-member.
- Networking at Lucky Strike ONLY – $20 member and non-member.
SPACE IS STILL AVAILABLE – REGISTER AT THE DOOR.
Join SMPS Philadelphia as we kick off the 2014/2015 program year with a bang!
The evening starts with a tour of the long-awaited, recently completed Dilworth Park project. The Park has been transformed from an inaccessible, multi-level, hard-surface plaza into a sustainable, well-maintained, green public space without stairs or barriers from the street. By covering existing openings and removing unnecessary walls, steps and barriers, the renovated Dilworth Park has 20,571 SF of new useable area (an increase of 21%) resulting in an expanded 120,557-square-foot public space. There is a large lawn, tree groves, a programmable fountain, and space for more than 400 benches and chairs. The space under the park has also been dramatically improved as a new transit gateway, providing entrances to Broad Street and Market Street subways and the trolley lines. New elevators make the transit levels accessible for the first time.
This project has been recognized by AIA Philadelphia with a Silver Medal (unbuilt) and AIA Pennsylvania with an Honor Award (unbuilt).
During this tour, you will learn about:
1. challenges faced by the design team to transform the plaza into an accessible park;
2. the issues related to designing and constructing a public project in the midst of an operational transportation hub;
3. issues related to reliance on as built information;
4. issues related to incorporating public art into the project;
5. procurement issues related to project funding sources.
After the tour of the Dilworth Park, join us as we kick off the new programming year with networking and bowling at Lucky Strike (please note, this requires a separate registration). This is a great way to meet new people, connect with new business contacts and have fun with your SMPS friends all while enjoying drinks, hors d’oeuvres and a little bowling.
This program is eligible for 1.5 CPSM credits. AIA Credits are pending.
Cancellations made by 12:00 a.m. three business days prior to the event will be fully refunded. Due to SMPS Philadelphia’s commitment with meeting facilities for food and beverage quantities, all cancellations after that time and no-shows will be ineligible for a refund.